Friday June 05 2020

Posted by on August 09, 2015
  • Power yacht on the Sea of Cortez
    Power yacht on the Sea of Cortez
  • Power vessel navigating the entrance to the ensenada de La Paz
    Power vessel navigating the entrance to the ensenada de La Paz
  • Sailing Charter on the Sea of Cortez
    Sailing Charter on the Sea of Cortez

Mexico has cracked down on boats entering Mexico without proper documentation. While Mexico’s government is checking more thoroughly they have made it much easier to comply with the laws via their SARGARPA / CONAPESCA website and the use of electronic filing for your Temporary Import Permit (TIP) and crew lists.

First you will you will need to obtain your Temporary Import Permit. These are not expensive and can be obtained via the Mexican consulate office closest to you, at the border from the CIITEV units in the customs office of entry or through this page on this Mexican Government

Documents required in order to obtain a TIP are:

1. Original current vessel documentation or registration that proves ownership.

2. Applicants ID (Passport)

3. For vessels registered under a Corporation or LLC, notarized letter to authorize the vessel operation to master operating it.

The cost for a TIP is currently $51usd at the customs office or $45usd via the website. The payment on the website may only be made via an international credit card in the name of the importer. These Temporary Import Permits are valid for 10 from the effect date of the temporary importation of the vessel. You may renew your TIP for another 10 years if you complete the application 45 days prior to the expiration of the past permit.

Once you have your TIP for you boat you will need some form of a FMM (Formato Migratoria Multiple) for everyone on board. The most common immigration document for visitors is the Tourist Card and they can be easily obtained online here or at the point of entry and costs $306 pesos. Along with your immigration document the captain must report entering and exiting Mexico with a list of passengers on board and copies of their immigration documents. If you do this online you must email both the passenger list and payment receipt to: 

Applicants will receive an email from National Immigration Institute (INM) either authorizing the trip or denying entry to a passenger intending to enter Mexico’s territorial water onboard the given vessel.

The authorizing email will contain National Immigration Institute (INM)’s permit to enter as a “Visitor without Permission to Perform Paid Activities”. The length of stay will cover the amount of time asked for in the application, yet such shall not exceed 180 days nor may it be used for multiple entries and departures.

A copy of this information will be sent to the Secretary of the Navy (SEMAR) and to the Secretary of Communications and Transportation (SCT.)

For further information call INFOSAT at:

Mexico Toll Free 01 800 4636728 options 7-2-2-1-1.

US Toll Free 1 877 4488728 options 7-2-2-1-1.

Finally you will want to have a fishing liscenses for anyone on board whether fishing or not. You may read the Mexican Fishing Regulations and find out how to buy your liscense online here.

While Mexico maybe checking for documents and permits more than in the past they have made it much easier to comply with hese requirements with their onoine systems in English at If you would like to read more about the Temporary Import Permit regulations you may find them tranlatred into English here.

Safe boating and good luck with the fishing!



All content and images
The Original Online Magazine fore Traveling & Living in Baja

About the BajaInsider